STDEV 358 R
Instructor: Memo Caldera
The BYUSA Student Advisory Council is in line with the broader university’s efforts with experiential learning. The Council strives to be a credible and sought-after resource that represents the voice and sentiment of the BYU student body. The Council collaborates with BYU students, faculty, administration, and staff to improve the overall BYU student experience.
The objectives are as follows:
- Strengthen student voice:Students’ ideas and expressed opinions are acknowledged, advocated for, and acted upon as a result of student outreach, inclusive collaboration, meaningful research, and civil discourse.
- Increase student knowledge:Students’ understanding is broadened through research, policy study, and interactions with the BYU students, faculty, administration, and staff.
- Impact student perspective:Students’ viewpoints are enlightened as a result of dialogue and discourse with fellow students and BYU faculty, administrators, and staff.
STDEV 155: Authentic Leadership
Instructor: Angela D. Blomquist, MPA
Gallup Strengths Certified Coach
The threefold purpose of Authentic Leadership is to help students more fully understand their own identities, to assist them in choosing fulfilling careers, and to provide them with tools and resources they will need to be authentic while being divine-centered leaders throughout their lives.
- Understand Self:
- Discover and examine personal strengths using StrengthsFinder 2.0
- Appreciate how these strengths combine to create each individual's unique talent and personality
- Learn how to cooperate with others and build successful teams by using the language and ideas of strengths-based curriculum
- Explore Career Options:
- Increase awareness of possible career path options in context of Strengths Finder results
- Discuss methods of utilizing personal strengths in future career settings
- Practice Divine Centered Leadership:
- Explore principles of leadership exemplified by Jesus Christ with the Divine-centered Leadership Model
- Connect principles of divine-centered leadership to current and future leadership roles
STDEV 145: Integrity for Life
Instructor: Sue Murie
The premise of the Integrity for Life course is that the path to enduring happiness and peace is to live in accordance with true, eternal principles.
Concepts covered in the course will enable students to:
- Examine personal paradigms, attitudes, and behaviors
- Clarify values and set priorities
- Develop a Personal Mission Statement to guide decision-making
- Practice effective self-management
- Translate values from ideals to behaviors
- Achieve both long- and short-term goals
- Cultivate a strong sense of self-efficacy
- Be less crisis-driven
- Foster empathy and self-compassion
- Manage conflict more effectively
- Build stronger, more productive relationships
- Increase personal influence
- Enjoy greater life balance and peace of mind
- Experience a deep sense of purpose and fulfillment